"Dancing makes you lose yourself and find yourself at the same time", is what you will hear from anyone who has
ever shook a leg! It is this surreal feeling of happiness that makes you forget who you are, where you are and
realise the pinnacle of exhilaration to reveal your happiest self, that dawns upon you as you - DANCE!
Dancing shakes up the chemistry of happiness
I can bet that seeing someone dance in front of you will make you groove inside and while most feel it, very few
can actually overcome that inhibition and set themselves free! Its a shame, that we miss out on such a joyful and
healthy activity for the fear of being judged. Dancing is not only fun, but it has numerous health benefits too
that we are completely oblivious about. With the number of people engaging themselves in this art form on the rise,
it is all the way more important to realise the multifaceted benefits of this wonderful activity.
Types of Dance
From mudras to moves, swings to stunts, there are different Indian forms of dancing such as Bollywood, classical
(Kathak, Bharatnatyam, Kuchipudi etc.), folk (Lavani, Bhangra, Dandiya, Bihu etc.) and also international forms
like Salsa, Cha cha cha, Hip-hop, Tap dancing, Ballet, Break dance, Jazz, Swing, Waltz, Rumba, Samba, etc. There
is something for every age-group and every strata of society to choose from and indulge into. Whichever the dance
form that entices you, the benefits are numerous be it social, mental or physical, it becomes one of the most healthy lifestyles
one can follow. Also, there are different intensity levels for one to choose from, such as beginner,
intermediate or advanced suiting all the individuals, thus giving no more reasons NOT to dance!
Dancing has a wide variety of physical, mental and social benefits for people of all ages, shapes and sizes.
Enlisted are a few of the perks of dancing:
- Burns upto 300-600 calories/hr (depending on the dance form)
- Improves lung and heart function
- Improves flexibility, posture and muscle tone
- Improves blood circulation and bone strength
- Imparts anti-ageing benefits
- Reduces stress and depression
- Boosts memory
- Makes one smarter
- Reduces risk of dementia
- Improves nerve function
- Boosts self-confidence through self-expression
- Improves social connection (eg.Making friends)
- Gives insights into other cultures
- Improves teamwork and comm unication skills
Healthy tips for dancing!
While its an immensely fulfilling and joyful activity, one might need to keep a few pointers in mind while
they enjoy dancing
- Check with your physician about any health conditions that can limit your dancing
- Choose a dance form you enjoy the most
- Take things slowly, starting with beginner level intensity!
- Appropriate clothing and footwear are a must for any dance form
- Stretch yourself (warm-up) and cool down after a session
- Don't be self-conscious about dancing
- Choose a good instructor
- keep yourself hydrated while dancing
- And most importantly....ENJOY!
Apart from the various benefits mentioned above, dance also has a unique ability to take away the pain experienced
in Parkinson's disease by shaking up the chemistry and release of dopamine. Research has also shown that dancing also
keeps Alzheimer's disease at bay or stave off its debilitating symptoms and dementia.
Dance is known to integrate
stimulation of several of the brain functions like - kinesthetic, rational, musical, and emotional, further intensifying
your neuronal activity and connectivity. With myriad health benefits, everyone should indulge oneself and encourage others
to shake a leg and dance their way to a healthy, happy and fulfilling life!