What Is The Purpose Of Getting a Thyroid Profile Test
Your doctor may have recommended getting a thyroid profile test for a variety of reasons, and here are some of the most common ones:
- If you are going through unexplained weight gain or loss, fatigue, hair loss, dry skin, or irregular menstrual periods, your doctor may recommend thyroid testing to check for any underlying thyroid problems
- In case you have a family history of thyroid disease, you may be at a higher risk of developing thyroid problems yourself, and your doctor may recommend a TFT test to monitor your thyroid function
- Pregnant or planning to become pregnant? If yes, your healthcare professional may recommend a thyroid test to ensure that your thyroid function is normal, as thyroid problems during pregnancy can have negative effects on both you and your baby
- If you have been recently diagnosed with a thyroid condition such as hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism.
- If you are taking medication that can affect your thyroid function, such as lithium or amiodarone, your doctor may recommend a thyroid function test (TFT Test) to monitor your thyroid function and adjust your medication as needed